Laurence W.B. Cumberland, founding member of Cumberland & Erly, LLC, concentrates his practice on complex litigation, including commercial and construction matters, environmental defense, Maryland Department of Environment defense, felony criminal trials, personal injury cases, and firearms defense and firearms rights litigation. During his career, Mr. Cumberland has obtained by either verdict or settlement many millions of dollars for his clients. He has achieved both an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the national directory of attorneys, which reflects the highest possible peer rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, and a 10 rating from AVVO, the highest possible rating.
Mr. Cumberland graduated with honors from the University of Maryland in 1976, and received his Juris Doctor from the University of Baltimore in 1980. While in law school, he clerked for the Honorable Perry G. Bowen, Jr. He was admitted to practice before the Maryland Court of Appeals in 1981 and before the United States District Court in 1982.
As a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, Mr. Cumberland serves on the Committee on Resolution of Fee Disputes. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Maryland State Bar Association, and the Calvert County Bar Association, of which he is a past president, as well as the Maryland Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice, and is a fellow in the Maryland Bar Foundation. He has served as a member of the Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission, and as a panel attorney for the Attorney Grievance Commission.
The Honorable Warren J. Krug, administrative judge for Calvert County, Maryland, appointed Mr. Cumberland to serve as the Calvert County representative on the Court of Appeals Professionalism Task Force. Mr. Cumberland was later appointed by the Court of Appeals to serve as the Calvert County representative of the Professionalism Commission. He is a founding member of, and serves as a Master on the Southern Maryland Inn of Court.
Mr. Cumberland is active in a number of local charitable organizations. For over thirty-six years, he has volunteered for Calvert County Meals on Wheels and has also served as House Captain on the Calvert County Bar Association's Christmas in April Project.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1980
- University of Maryland, Bachelor of Arts with Honors, 1976
- Maryland, 1981
- United States District Court, District of Maryland, 1982
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission, Former Member
- Attorney Grievance Commission, Panel Attorney
- Maryland State Bar Association, Committee on Resolution of Fee Disputes, Member
- Calvert County Bar Association, Member and Past President, 1985-1986
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maryland Association for Justice, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Southern Maryland Inn of Court, Founding Member and Master
- Maryland Bar Foundation, Fellow