Experienced Calvert County Family Law, Divorce & Domestic Violence Attorneys
At Cumberland & Erly, LLC, we never underestimate the legal, financial, and emotional impact that family law matters have on our clients, and always provide thoughtful, highly personalized advice and representation. We handle not only divorce and related issues, such as custody and support, but also provide representation in adoptions, paternity, premarital agreements, and domestic violence cases.
Maryland Divorce Proceedings & Related Issues
Our Prince Frederick family law attorneys provide compassionate guidance throughout the entire divorce process, while ensuring that our clients' rights and interests are protected. We recognize that every divorce or separation involves a unique set of facts and issues that need to be understood and addressed. We will listen to your concerns and help you make the best decisions for yourself and your family regarding the various matters that accompany divorce, including:
- Child Custody & Visitation - Often, nothing is more difficult or complex in a divorce than the issues of child custody and visitation. Our attorneys help parents develop workable custody and visitation arrangements and that meet their children's needs and reflect their parenting roles.
- Child & Spousal Support - In many cases of divorce, one of the spouses will be ordered by the court to pay child support or alimony to the other spouse, either during or after divorce proceedings. We help families establish appropriate arrangements that meet their financial needs and capabilities.
- Division of Assets - Upon divorce, it is necessary to divide assets accumulated during the marriage, such as the marital home, furnishings, and retirement accounts. Our lawyers work to ensure that our clients' property and assets are protected during and after the divorce process.
- Guardianship - We handle guardianships of the person and the property.
- Alimony - We pursue and defend alimony matters as the needs of our clients require.
The completion of a successful adoption often involves a great deal of stress, many anxious moments, and a significant financial investment. We work to simplify and facilitate the adoption process for our clients by handling all legal aspects of adoption, so that prospective parents can focus on welcoming a new addition to the family.
For people contemplating marriage, a premarital agreement can proactively address how financial matters will be handled during the marriage or in the event of a divorce or the death of a spouse. Any couple may benefit from entering into a premarital agreement, but it is especially advisable when either or both spouses have significant assets or children from a prior relationship.
Establishing legal paternity gives a father certain rights and responsibilities in regard to his child, including the obligation to pay child support and the right to custody or visitation, and also enables a child to receive benefits or inheritance from his or her father. Our attorneys can help clients assert or challenge paternity depending on their needs.
Domestic Violence / Peace Orders
In cases of family violence, you may ask a court for a peace order by filing a civil suit, which is distinct from filing criminal charges against your spouse. Our attorneys help victims of abuse, harassment, stalking, trespass, or malicious destruction of property obtain relief from violence by filing and enforcing peace orders.
Seek Advice & Representation from an Experienced Calvert County Family Lawyer
If you are facing divorce or have another family law concern, please contact us online for a free initial consultation. With experienced legal representation on your side, you can be confident in the choices you make for yourself and your family.